Thursday, March 29, 2012

lemon parsley fish cakes

Found these Lemon Parsley Fish Cakes  a long time ago via my everydayfood app, courtesy of Martha
Stewart. The kids love these easy weekday friendly fish cakes. Will they eat a piece of fish? No. Serve it up like this and it disappears, plus Mom and Dad like it too. Feels fancy. I never considered flash freezing them before as it suggests on the website, but next time I plan to make a double batch and freeze half.

Prep: 20 minutes
Total Cook Time: 40 minutes  
Serves: Two Hungry Adults and two short people

1 pound fresh cod fillet

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (I use less or I feel the flavor is a little overpowering)
6 tablespoons breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco (I would like to add this, but to make it kid-friendly, I omit)
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place cod in a baking dish; rub with 1 tablespoon oil. Roast fish in oven until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely, then pat dry with paper towels. Flake with a fork.
(I do this part before I grab the kids, allowing it to cool while I brave the day care pick up)

2.In a large bowl, combine cod, egg, scallions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, breadcrumbs, parsley, hot sauce, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Mix gently until ingredients just hold together.
(I can usually count on one little chef to help with this part, sometimes to the point that they don't want to move onto the next step)

3.Form mixture into eight equal-size patties. Freeze on baking sheets until firm, then wrap each in plastic and store in resealable freezer bags, up to 1 month. Thaw before cooking.
(I usually make the patties and serve, but wow, great idea)

4.To serve the cakes: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook cakes until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Serve hot.
I serve with the Citrus Butter Salad OR my new obsession Sesame Garlic Green Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment